Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Gravel Slayer


October 29, 2016: 

Elk City, Oklahoma:

Better late than never, I guess. Procrastination has overcome me lately. It's not that I haven't been riding, it's just that I haven't been writing. Call it writers block, if you will. So ..... my apologies to Jack Christian and his family, the founder, promoter, and all round do everything people to make this event happen. They deserve better than they got from me. But .... finally ..... here is my effort. This was a wonderful event, the route was just spectacular, challenging, but not impossible, scenic, and most of all, just plain fun! 


The poster that Jack made up for the ride. Each rider received one of these. A nice touch, I thought. Jack is a super photographer, and has an eye for the unusual.



 Yours truly at the start.




 A gorgeous early morning start to a beautiful ride. Headed north.



 Alexander ..... who drove all the way from Phoenix, Arizona to ride this one with me. This was the first time I had met him in person, and his company made the ride truly memorable. Lots of fun!



 The roads were beautiful, well maintained, no large loose rock, very little sandy or washboard sections. Super fast going north, with the wind. The wind was an issue on this ride, sustained at 35, gusts to 45 or so. Made going out lots of fun, and quick .... one and one half hours to the turn around point three and a half coming back. Ah well, more time for scenery.




 This is indeed Big Country!  So different from my part of Oklahoma where one is always surrounded by trees. Here, you can see forever!



 I kidded Jack after the ride that it might have been a little better if he'd turned off all the fans. Truly, the wind was a beast. Wonderful going north ... coming back ..... not so much. Just another added challenge. Slow down, kick back, and enjoy the scenery.



 I couldn't get enough of the wide open roads, hardly any traffic, and groomed gravel. This was about mile 20, and I think we might have met three vehicles up to this point.



 Al was nice enough to take a photo of your author and his illustrious Fat Steed.



 Jack's son and daughter-in-law hosted a very welcome, and well provisioned rest stop at about mile 31. I had a need to relieve ..... so I asked if they had an outhouse ..... the lady just laughed and said ... just go out behind the barn .... the cows won't care .... And ...so I did.



 The Fatbike proved to be a popular attraction, even Al took a turn or two riding it.



 The three mile pasture section. I truly wished it could have been much longer. This was my favorite (and I think most of the rider's favorite as well) part of the entire ride.Notice the grass along the road, leaning wayyyy  over.




 The road got more and more interesting the further we went.








 Truly, like old west explorers following along on a wilderness trail.



 Amelia, one of a small group that we seemed to have formed. It usually works that way on most rides. Eventually, you keep seeing the same riders over and over, and pretty soon, you just become a small group of your own, and new friendships blossom. 



 An Oasis Of The Plains.



 Road? Yes ...yes .... there it is!!



 Amelia, Kelli, and Stephanie. These gals provided great company, were super fun, and made the ride even more enjoyable.



 An old homestead. Maybe from as far back as the Dust Bowl days....



 Old Man Cotton was king here at one time, now, just a field or two left here and there.



 The Tee that went with the ride.



 This was just a super nice ride, through some country I had never taken the time to appreciate before. I had spent some time out here working, but when one is working, it's difficult to truly appreciate your surroundings. This time, I had the time to be able to travel leisurely through the area .. (I was on a Fatbike .... leisurely is generous) and great friends to enjoy it all with. Just a super nice ride, and I'll be looking forward to riding again next year!  Overall, I think the part that impressed me most about this ride, and the part that will live longest in my memory, is that it wasn't just a bike ride. Jack and his family treated us all like one big family reunion. We all felt like we were really just a part of a big family. And that, people, is what makes this sport unique and so captivating. Gravel riders, are just one big family after all. 


 

5 comments:

  1. Yes!! Better late is much better than later. Great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was getting embarrassed that it took so long. Glad I finally got-r-dun though.

      Delete
  2. Wow that sounds like it was quite a ride. Especially with the wind and some of those roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful ride. Can't do much about the Oklahoma wind, just tuck and do the best you can with it. I was tired when I got back .....and hungry. Jack had a wonderful bar-b-que for us all at the start/finish and I pigged out!

      Delete
  3. hey nice source for us, thanks for sharing this detailed information and i bookmark this blog for future use.

    ELECTRIC BIKE BICYCLE

    ReplyDelete