Friday, September 25, 2015

Mickelson Trail, Day One


Friday, September 18, 2015:

Custer to Edgemont, 46 miles:

Chilly at the start, but not really too bad. 40 degrees and only about a 10mph breeze from the west. Breakfast across from my motel, the lady that ran the motel had worked out a "special" with the restaurant. Two eggs, sausage or bacon, hash browns, toast or pancakes, all for $4.99 including tax. I liked the sausage and the pancakes were great. Very filling start to my day ...... and .... they opened at 6am. Had breakfast this morning with a very nice couple from Nebraska who told me I could start anytime I wanted, anywhere from 7am to 10am, this was their 6th Trail Trek. I got going about 7:40. The weather reports all said 80% chance of rain this morning. Luckily, it didn't happen, it all went a ways to the south of us.Which, by the way, was a really, really, good thing seeing as how I left my rain gear in my closet at home ......



 There were a few riders that started about the same time as I did, and these would stay around me most of the day.

 I keep seeing these old cars all over. Some hot-rodder's drooling.

 Pringle rest stop. There are 600 riders on this ride .... see them?? The tall fellow in the red jacket is a Park Ranger. He rode the entire way with us, keeping us safe and in good hands.

 The Pringle Bicycle Pile.


A lot of times on my ride, the trail was about this crowded. I rode many miles all by myself. This is considered to be the least scenic of the entire trail. I found beauty everywhere though.



 The ruins of an old Lime plant.


I enjoyed these informative signs all along the trail at points of interest.


When the cloud cover started over us, the temperature dropped 5 degrees, down to around 36 or 37, and the wind picked up to 35-40mph from the WSW ...... there were several times when I was blown completely across the trail, thought I was going to be unsaddled by the fence rails. A big gust would hit, and it happened very quickly. Very cold wind, a smell of snow in the air for a bit. Fortunately, it didn't.



 The heavy cloud cover broke up for a bit before filling back in again. Temperature stayed cold until we got all the way down into Edgemont.








 Minnekahta Junction, at the junction of the trail and Hwy 18. Only had about 12 more miles to go at this point. Lunch provided was a choice of ham, beef, veggie, or turkey Subway's. Chips and a drink also. No beer today ..... suits me, too cold! You notice I didn't take my gloves off even to eat.


Cloud cover back with us again for a bit. Not warming. This is the Minnekahta Trailhead. I was lucky enough be one of the first ones there and got a seat at the table in the enclosed shelter off the photo to the left. Nailed it down with my water bottle. The sandwiches were good. Everything fresh and crisp. I had ham, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle on mine. No chips, but had tea. Could you imagine going into a Subway at 7am and saying ....."I want 600 sandwiches to go please, and make it snappy, I got hungry riders waiting" .....



Leaving Minnekahta, heading right into the wind for a while, very slow going. It was along this stretch when a rider came up alongside and was asking lots of questions about the Fatbike. He was on a Specialized carbon cross bike. I told him we could switch for a little bit and he could ride it if he wanted. He grabbed at the chance. So, I got on his, he got on mine ..... and he took off like a rifle shot. I had a hard time catching and keeping up on his light carbon bike. When we stopped about a mile later, he said he was amazed at how easy it pedaled and how well it rode. I could tell by the big grin on his face. His mouth dropped to his chest when I told him he was riding on tires with only 8 pounds of pressure in them. He thought that was impossible!  After riding his, I agreed with the ride part, I thought his was a really rough and uncomfortable ride, was glad to get back on the fattie. I think I may be a bit spoiled!  He was impressed, however, and I think Bikes Direct may have another Fatbike customer. That wonderful soft cushy ride is the reason I choose this bike for rides like this over my lighter gravel bike.


 Lots of pretty side canyons coming down off the top. This was supposed to be mostly a downhill day, but with the heavy wind and cold temps, the weather conditions took most of that easy-peasy stuff away.


 Coming down off the top, about halfway, the sky started clearing for good, the wind did not abate, however. They had a detour around Edgemont because of a bridge out, and we had to take the highway (which they thoughtfully coned off for us), around the town and back in from the west. I almost didn't think I was going to make it across the highway bridge directly into that strong wind .....killer!!

 Made it into town and down to the park finally. The temperature finally warmed into the low 50's. Heat Wave!!! It felt wonderful!  The detour added a little over a mile to today's ride. I got a nice young lady to take a picture of me riding across the covered bridge. This was a nice reproduction, and very authentic in detail. I thought it was pretty cool.



 She was nice enough to take my picture, so I took hers.

 The interior of the bridge, all the contributor's names and ranch brands on the overheads all the way across. Nicely constructed. We here in the west don't see too many covered bridges, so this was a treat.



 Lots of homemade pies of various flavors. This is one time it pays to get an early start. I ate dinner that night with a couple who started around 9am, and by the time they got here, everything was gone.


And these wonderful ladies stuffing us full of ice cream .... This is why it pays to get in early .... The later riders missed out!




I saw this old abandoned homestead on the drive down the afternoon before, but didn't have my camera with me in the car. I left it on the bike at my room because the car was staying at Edgemont for the night.



Now, came the nice part. No waiting. When I was ready to leave, my car was sitting there waiting for me, so I put the bike on the carrier and high tailed it back to Custer. After a short rest, I did a walkabout town, then went to dinner. I sat at the community table .... one big long table where they sat anyone who wanted to join in with others. If you weren't friends when you sat down, you were at the end of the meal. I had a Buffalo Burger (huge) potato salad, lots of veggies on the burger, and a Heffeweitzen, (wheat beer)  ... Very light, mild almost sweet beer, not bitter with overdone hops. I liked it enough I had another. I had this when I was in Germany, but had no idea you could get it here. Tasted the same. This was on tap where I ate, The Black Hills Bun and Burger Company. They had great burgers, and the potato salad was to die for!!!   This dinner was on the State Parks, they had included a $10 Mickelson Bucks check. This was what I used it for. So ..... first day on the trail, down. Not the big crowded conditions I had feared, a pleasant bunch of riders all along the trail and the SAG people were just great. I'm beginning to realize I had made several right choices here. The Fatbike was another good choice as well. There are many constantly changing trail conditions, from loose to soft, to hard pack like pavement, and back again, some places were just plain rough, and some were as smooth as pavement. Several of the bridge approaches were a sharp jump up, a bunny-hop with cross, hybrid and lesser bikes ..... with the fattie .... just plow on straight ahead and roll right over it all. Into the wind, I just tucked down into a wind cheating aero position by grabbing the front loop on the Jones bars and resting my wrists on the rear cross bar, slide my butt back on the saddle a ways and tuck down, it worked just fine. Maybe not as comfy as a real aero bar, but better than straight bars ten times to Sunday. The majority of the bikes on the trail were mountain bikes, with hybrids bringing in a close second. I did see one or two road bikes, but this trail really isn't particularly well suited for a roadie. That said, the roadies that were there made it to the end, so if that's what you want to ride .... go for it! I'm just not really experienced enough to feel confident riding those skinny tires on this type of trail, so like most newbies, I choose on the side of caution. I'm still in one piece too .... 



2 comments:

  1. The Pringle Bicycle Pile; those are the bikes of riders who gave up ? Or did they crash ? That wooden bridge ......how beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, except the had a sign there that they were willing to accept donations (bikes I assume), so I think it just started with one or two and the ballooned. An interesting diversion. I loved the wooden covered bridge too.

      Delete