Monday, June 30, 2014

Why Not!



Monday, June 30, 2014:

The last day of the month of June. June having in it the first day of summer, the start of the hot season.  June is also one of the four months with only 30 days. Not a particularly good month for anything particular, certainly not for going after big monthly bicycle mileage .... it's a day short. If I was going to do that, I'd certainly have picked one of the 31 day months. I finished up my ride yesterday .... the day before the last day of the month with 772 miles total for the month. The only reason for that many was the 365 miles I had put on while doing the Prairie Spirit Trail and the Katy Trail this month. 772 miles, and the next to the last day of the month of June ..... most people would have looked at that and been more than satisfied. For me ..... it's not any record, I've had two months with over 1000 miles since I've been keeping track with a bike log, and a couple more with 900, so nothing special really, not even for a 30 day month. So really, I should have been pretty happy with this accomplishment, after all, how many people actually ride a bike 772 miles in any month .... really? Plus, the weather forecast was for a windy day today, and very muggy, not exactly the kind of weather I like to ride in. For once, the weather forecaster got it right. Winds right up there at 16-18mph and gusty at 6am this morning, from the south, and hydrating would be no problem ....... you would inhale a 20 ounce bottle of water an hour just with the air you breathed. So, at 6am, I walked outside, and felt the wind pushing me, looked up and saw the stiff old oak trees bend over at the top, and said that this, this day would be a great day to do some indoor bike maintenance. The cat tried to follow me out to the shop, and got blown sideways under my pickup, finally gave up and headed back for the safeness and serenity of the garage. I puttered around, and cleaned a chain, swapped out the stock saddle on my gravel bike for a Fizik Rondine that I had, and I remembered was a pretty good saddle. I had the Rondine on my touring bike for a while. After 365 miles in a week on the stock Cannondale Quick saddle left me thinking I needed something a bit different to try. Why buy something new if you have something here to try. So, I switched it out and I'll give that one a try one of these days.

772 miles ...... WHY is this working on me so much. It's a good number....... NO it's not! It's too short! It's only 28 miles short of being 800. Why is 800 a great number ...... I don't know ..... maybe because it's not 772, a number too short by 28. Alright, wind or no wind ...... I'm riding! Go in the house, change my clothes, grab a full 25 ounce water bottle, and head out the door and down to the shop. Hmmmmmm .... the wind seems even stronger now, no, it's just my imagination, really, back to the house, look at the wind gauge on the computer, yep ..... 18-20mph now, it IS a little stronger. Okay, I'll settle for 772 ...... back to the house, pour another cup of coffee ........ Like HELL am I gonna settle for 772, a number too short by 28. Stomp back out to the shop, grab my helmet, stick the water bottle on the bike, and left .... left .......as in leaning over to the left trying to stay upright. I'm going to do this, I AM!!! Turned north and headed for the main road. WHOA!!! hardly pedaling and I'm cruising along at 16, this isn't so bad. Hey, dummy ...... you are sooner or later going to have to go the other way, you know? So, finally, out on the road, and now I'm not turning back. Got out, finished a 32 mile ride, drenched in sweat from head to toe, running down through my eyes and burning as it did, cycling kit that I could wring the water out. 32 hilly miles, angry at myself for all the procrastination, meant that I pushed myself harder than normal, but I finished that 32 mile ride, and did it with a 15.4 average speed. 804 miles for the month, was not a new record for me, but it was the highest mileage month this year, and while 15.4mph average isn't a new record either, I thought it pretty good for a blustery day. In the end, I felt good, drenched in sweat, water bottle empty, muscles sore all over, hot, achy, and brimming with accomplishment. Hmmmmm  ......804 miles .....is this going to work on me ...... HELL NO!!!! I'm satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment