Monday, June 23, 2014

Katy Trail 2014, Day 6






Friday;

Sedalia to Clinton, 39 miles;

Another short day, and our last on the trail. Many have the return bus trip to Columbia and St Charles to make, and a shorter trail day makes it possible. More headwinds today ...... would there be any doubt? Relatively flat day today with just a couple of long up and down gentle grades, BUT ........ we did reach the highest point on the trail at an oxygen depriving 955 feet above sea level. Gasping for breath, I managed to pedal right on by the sign this year without having to stop .... the next 30 miles is all downhill ..... just kidding ..... no it's not, plus we got a headwind.

A few pretty wildflowers along the way to brighten my morning.

 





Rob came up and took the lead from me for a while and relieved some of the pressure of having to fight the wind the rest of the way to Clinton. Before you knew it, here we are at the Clinton Trailhead.


Before long, Kelley and Jim showed up, and here is the four of us, Conquerors of the Trail! For Kelley and Rob and I, the end of our second trip, once each direction, for Jim, he can no longer say that he's always wanted to do this ..... because he did! Having ridden this trail in both directions, I can honestly say, that the west to east direction is a bit easier, not because it's downhill, but because of the constant headwind on the east to west. But, you just gotta do it both ways and find out for yourself.
Here's the four Bikesateers, after conquering the Katy, and in the toughest direction .... finished! At the Clinton Trailhead, at last.


The end of the trail is always so bittersweet to me, it means I accomplished what I had set out to do, but after all the trials and tribulations, all the fun and enjoyment and food and drink and laughs and all that we shared together, it means saying goodbye to our friends and heading our separate ways to our homes once again. I'm going to miss all of you! I probably won't miss the bug bites, rashes, and sunburned nose too much, but, hey, it's all part of the deal.

They served us lunch today, and I gathered up my bags, carried them one more time and put them in my car, got a shower, said all my goodbyes, and left for the six hour trip home. About an hour out of Clinton, my phone rang .... startled me, I picked it up and answered ...... it was the tour director asking me if I had made it off the trail okay today. In all the excitement of finishing and all the goodbyes, and thinking about the fact the ride is finished, and leaving for home .... I had forgotten to check in at the information booth. If he could have seen me over the phone, he'd have seen my blush.  So they called to make sure I was alright. See, these people even watch over you even after the ride. What a great bunch of people to ride with. This was another absolutely great ride on the Katy Trail, it's just no wonder it is  The premier trail to ride in the country, it's definitely a gotta-do. Once again, I'll state here, that you can do it yourself, but why would you want to when you can be pampered and taken care of all the way across, AND, make wonderful friends as a bonus, for just about the same amount of money and time involved. Me, I'll do it with the State Parks any ol' time! Plus, you get all this neat schwag ....



 
 
Several years ago, my friend Lydia and I did a Route 66 ride across Arizona, and she bought me my first hat pin. this has started a small collection since then for special rides, and, at the depot in Sedalia, I found the perfect one.



And so ends another ride on the Katy..... Loved the ride, the people, and the fun and good times. Do it!



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment