Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Let the Heat Begin

Summer in Oklahoma ..... it was a long time coming this year. This was one of the coolest Springs I can remember here. It's over ..... 75 degrees and muggy at 6am this morning. Figured I had better get out for a ride early, or not at all. Waited a bit too long, but left the house at 8:15, already 82. Ride, sweat, ride sweat..... intervals, y'know! Still, there have been some hanger on-er's that are usually gone by this time of year..... wheat for example. Wheat harvest here is usually done, and the wheat's in the bin by the end of the first week in June. Not a combine in sight yet. Some is beautiful ...



Some was under water.......



And some, was just still here and very pretty, like these wildflowers that appear to be giant daisies, growing in several places in the ditches.



Or maybe these lillies growing wild in the ditch......



Or maybe the old milkhouse .....



Or maybe some wildlife..... honest ..... I couldn't find any, just some fox tails ....


Obviously, the foxes were just too fast for me.

This was just a short little ride, only 22 miles, but sometimes they are the best ones. I really need to go back to looking around more, and carrying my camera with me more often. I've been leaving it home most of the time anymore. I always liked this little place, they keep it up nicely, and it just looks like the kind of family farm that I grew up around.......



The windrowed grain is something else you don't see much of here either. This happens to be oats, a common crop where I grew up, but seen seldom here. So, all in all, it was a very nice day to get out for a bike ride, plus, I sweated buckets. Clean pores.....you bet! I had also made a few changes on the bike  because my right wrist has been bothering me lately and I wanted to see if my adjustments did any good. It seems they did. That's a good thing as my long five day ride is coming up in less than a week. For that though, you will have to wait........

3 comments:

  1. Your Cannondale is telling you.."more fiber in our diet please!!!"

    I know the feeling, I am trying to get back to looking around more and noticing the little things. And taking pictures! I go through times when I really try and push it and myself while riding and then come to the end of a ride and wonder why? I have been taking my LHT out on lunch rides this last week...makes me enjoy the ride and the world around me a bit more.
    Anyway....good pics and thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing to see if this will post, Richard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...I have to post in Chrome not Safari....
    You're waaay ahead of me in biking miles...I do 10-12 at most.
    Beautiful Oakie countryside....I like this.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete