Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bodega Bay Ride


Riki and TL's Grand adventure part four

As part of my continuing bicycling vacation, my travels now took me to Rohnert Park, Ca. where I met up with ThisLife again for several more trips in beautiful Northern California. We decided to choose a route that was similar to last year's, just to extend it a bit further to include Bodega Bay, and return on a different route.
We left early in the morning, although not quite early enough to miss the morning rush hour. Early enough to make it damp and foggy however.

Foggy start Photobucket
Soon we were able to get out of town and into the beautiful Northern Cal countryside. Here we have TL rounding a curve coming up a little rise. I spotted a rather nice pastoral scene coming through a small valley.

On the way to Bodega Bay Photobucket

I spotted a couple of Scottish Highland cattle just off the road.....a breed one sees little of in this country. This cow was very typical of the breed.

Scottidsh Highland cow

As I suspected, there was going to be a significant number of hills to climb. TL called them a few little hills, compared to what she had been up on previous rides, but any hill that I have to get down in my lowest gear and grunt to get up the thing is at least to me, a tough hill. I found a couple of these on this ride. I'm getting ahead of myself here however. We traversed several small and picturesque valleys on our journey and managed to find a couple of deer close to the road, this one was confident it was completely hidden from me, so it stayed put while I dug out my camera.

deer

A pretty farmstead.....

Cal farmstead

Long and steep (at least in this flatlanders judgement), at least the one going into Tomales ended in a lunch break. They have a most delightful little Deli in the town of Tomales that is normally crowded with bicyclists, but not on Friday, so we had it to ourselves. After lunch we left Tomales...up yet another hill, headed for Bodega. Many,many more hills later, we came upon a particulary steep downhill, one that TL had gone up on a previous ride...... I plunged down the thing,and waited on TL at the bottom where I caught her at speed looking very intense and flying........

Lydia racing downhill

We rode on through the little community of Valley Ford on our way to Bodega. For those who are old enough to remember Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" you may remember these buildings, as both played key roles in the movie........ First, the schoolhouse....

Schoolhouse at Bodega

Then the Church......

From "The Birds"

We enjoyed a coffee with a friendly pooch on the Main drag of Bodega....he knew it was closing time and was looking for his treats.
 He wasn't too picky about who he begged them from either. Deciding that it was getting later and later, we decided it was time to start heading back. Back through the town of Valley Ford once again and on to the Bloomfield cutoff (Yes, Teesiea they have one in California too) where we turned off to follow the Breathe Easy Metric route back. This had a couple of more (why am I not surprised here) hills..... one of which had me breathing not so easy near the summit. I thought I was going to have to stop, but I had the summit in sight, so I went for it. Topped out, heart beating too fast, gasping for breath, but at the top......and time to rest a bit. After this one, we had a couple more shallow hills....

On the way back

Still a very scenic area. I just love the smell of these eucalyptus lines roads.  I was starting to get very tired about this time, and suggested a rest stop about fifteen miles from home, I felt a bonk coming on, even after the large lunch, so I decided to munch on a Larabar, and drink a little electrolite and I must have needed it, 'cause I ate the whole thing. We turned on a very busy highway, then back into the country again and a return to the town of Rohnert Park and our starting place. 86.93 miles of tough (for me anyway) riding. Got back, and enjoyed a much needed dinner. I was very tired after the ride today, and I doubt if I could have gone much further. Ah, but tomorrow's another day, and the Alexander Valley awaits

No comments:

Post a Comment