Monday, November 21, 2011

A Shakedown Cruise

Well, my first real loaded tour with my new Cannondale T2 touring bike. How did it go..... in a word....GREAT!


Had the bike loaded a bit heavier than I wanted, bike, gear and all was right at 73 pounds as it sits right there without water bottles. I didn't weigh it after I added the bottles. I took off about ten minutes after I took this picture into an ever increasing 15mph (later to be 20+) headwind. Leave it to me to pick a direction where I'd have a headwind all the way. My destination was Clear Bay at Lake Thunderbird State Park, in the city limits of Norman, OK. This would have been about a 42 mile ride, if that had been the way it went, but that adventure will come later.
By the time I had gotten to Bethel Store..... 17 miles from the house, I was already getting a bit disgusted by the strong wind. I decided to take a break and time for a snack, and a few photos. Dug out my little mini-pod and set my camera up for a couple of self portraits.



Our typical eastern Oklahoma hills urged me on. between the hills and the headwind, it was a struggle to maintain any kind of forward momentum.



There were places where the Fall color was still in evidence.


Finally arriving at Highway 9, and turning west, I knew I had to complete it now, as I was already more than half way. So, after an epic struggle into the wind all day, I arrived at my destination.



Turning north at the sign and riding three miles into the park brought me to the sign that said "Tent Camping Area closed for the season"..... WHAT!!! Well, lets go on a bit, as there was another campground up here a little ways. Yes there was..... a full-hookup RV park.... no tents allowed. The nice lady there told me to go to Little Axe campground..... back the way I came about seven miles. , so....out I went and back to Little Axe, traverssing a bit of country road to get there.....


And...when I did....what do you suppose I found? Another sign across a locked gate that said... "Campground closed for renovation after tornado" Oh Great! So....I sat there scratching my helmet and wondering what to do next...... I mean, I was tired, it was getting a little late in the day to be searching much further ....... and about then a pickup comes up, the driver leaning out and asking if I might be lost. Well, no, I'm not really lost, but certainly could use a little help. After explaining what I had gone through so far...... he directed me on to Post Oak Campground. So....two miles back out to the main road, three miles north, and two miles back into the campground, I found another RV campground. This one however, not quite so fancy. They would let me camp there, but I had to pay a RV rate. After chatting with them a bit, they agreed to a lower rate, and a senior discount, so I took it. Fifty-three miles into the ride, I had a camping spot. And what a camping spot it turned out to be. Had it almost to myself. There was only one other camper in the place, and it was absolutely beautiful.


Picking out a good campsite proved to be problematic..... there were too many to choose from! They all looked great, and so, finally I picked one and started setting up camp.


While I was busy setting up camp....I realized I was NOT alone after all. I had a supervisor on the job. Obviously NOT a fat-cat goverment big wig, but just an ordinary girl watching to make sure I did it all right.....


After making my aquaintence, she proceeded to help me with getting everything else ready, and paying particular attention to the kitchen stuff. You got food? I told her I wasn't quite ready to fix dinner yet, but she was patient and she'd wait. So, went and took a nice HOT shower and found they had been thoughtful enough to install a shower massage unit in the shower...... I didn't want to leave. I'd just let it pound on my back forever. But....I wanted to get started cooking before it got too dark. By now, there were two feline friends waiting for my return. Both very hungry. So, setting up a pannier to block the wind, I lit my little stove and prepared a meal fit for a king..... well.....maybe not....but it was really good, and done in about 8 minutes. My little Coleman Micro-stove worked very good, boiling 16 oz of water in about three minutes.



Pouring the boiling water right into the pouch, stirring once, waiting five minutes and stirring again produced a wonderfully smelling meal, ready to eat. So, I tried it......and surprise of surprises.... it was really good. I ate about two thirds of it, dumped some on the concrete, and slit open the bag for the other cat..... and found two kittys that agreed with me, and licked up every bit of what there was. What was nice was that there was very little clean up afterward.
Dinner over, I took a little walk around the campground before it got too dark. Still lots of Fall color here.



The Lake in the background getting a bit washed out in appearance, but that is what that is. Some thought it was snow..... no....just a lake. Walking on a bit further, the sun almost gone now, I found another visitor.....



After a good nights sleep, I was up bright and early, broke camp, and started out amid honking.....


South bound Canada geese making a combacck for the winter. Backtracking the way I came was a bit easier today as there was vitually NO wind. Along the way I found another form of two wheeled art.....



 I bit of Redneck Motor art! Even though there was no wind, I was still hungry..  I fact, by the time I had made 23 miles to Tecumseh, I was REALLY HUNGRY. Pulled into Jewells restaurant (one of my favorites) for a late breakfast After I pigged out on a veggie omelet, I pressed on the remaining 17 miles home. A bit easier day today, and I felt pretty good yet when I got home. So....how did it go....pretty well I'd say. When winter is over, I may have to try another, maybe longer one.

No comments:

Post a Comment