Friday, October 5, 2018

Tallgrass Tour


10/5/2018

Tallgrass Tour 
Ponca City, Oklahoma

It has been way too long since I've posted on here but because of the circumstances of the last year, I thought that this is definitely one that needs to be posted. First of all, this wasn't my first effort on this ride, I rode 31 miles of it last year, fell and broke my femur in two places, it was a bad angle of a break and a displaced break which meant that healing was going to be a lengthy process. Also, with the required surgery, it meant I was now going to be sporting a very exotic frame …. titanium and stainless steel …. WooHoo …  This is the X-ray of all the hardware. 





So …. with that information to start, I was determined that I was 
going to go back up there this year and finish this ride! 

Starting out in the morning, I had with me the two ladies who stayed with me last year while I laid there on the road until the ambulance arrived, Sue and Tabitha, and my usual Saturday riding companion Lynn. 




Left to right: Lynn, Tabitha, George (Tabitha's Husband), and Sue. As good a group as one could have! George went his own route which left the four of us to soldier on. I have ridden many rides and many miles with all these ladies, and I was indeed so happy to have them along with me. Don't think there weren't trepidations and some worry going through my mind. 



   
The route took us past the Marland Children's Home, who was the beneficiary of the proceeds from this ride. Way over to the left, you can just see some of the kids out with their thank you signs and hollering out thank you's as we rode past. Made my heart feel pretty big right then! 




They had several sections of newly laid gravel, which was nice, but loose and in some places rather squirrelly. There were also some longish sections of soft loose sand to also make things a bit more interesting. The new Raleigh Tamland 2 handled it all without complaint, however. After I found how loose this particular section was, however, I decided there would be no more shoot on the go pictures unless the roads were predicable.  



First rest stop, and we found a convenient person to take a group picture of the four of us! 



A much better section of gravel 



Passing by a very old farmstead over on the right side. 



The course was well marked. 



The countryside was so very pretty! Open, so you could see for a hundred miles. Much different than the forested part of Oklahoma where I live. 




Sue and Tabitha coming down a hill with one of the ever present SAG drivers following. 




When we arrived at Newkirk, Oklahoma, the rest stop was at the fire station. Everybody was out cheering me on as I pulled into the parking area. The ambulance crew was there (in the picture above) that picked me up off the road last year and transported me to Ponca City Hospital …. so nice to renew acquaintances. They all said they were glad to see me upright and walking and riding! It was like old home week.  




We decided the fire apparatus was a good excuse for another group picture. The firemen there were glad to oblige. 



Downtown Newkirk …. I loved all the old limestone buildings on Main street. 



Leaving Newkirk, I spotted this old pickup and thought it would make a nice photo … we all went over and spent some time there. Colorful and Fall like, it was a perfect place for another group photo less the photographer. 



Everyone and their bikes.



The pickup and pumpkins were part of a display from a local farmer's market. I loved the old building. 



Honor system! The lady that runs the place isn't always there, so take what you need and pay me when you see me next. 



Lynn, riding past a field of soybeans. We had removed our jackets long before this, so glad for roomy pockets in the back of our jerseys where things won't work their way out. 



A field of tailfins! All 1957 Chevys 



The lakeshore road was a pretty and winding little gravel lane. We all loved it! 



Lynn waiting on me to take a picture of a windmill, (I was sure by now I was trying her patience). The other two are disappearing in the distance. 



Ponca Lake.



And …… TaDa ….. the finish!!! 51 miles of gravel tour finished! Both legs still functioning. Lynn and I crossed the finish line together with a high five! So glad I faced down my demon and went back up to finish this ride. I felt so much better and relieved of the weight that was hanging on me before. The leg did well, we all finished together and we all enjoyed each other's company for the entire ride. Sorry, no pictures of the food …. I was busy eating it! Bar-b-que brisket, ribs, and sausage, potato salad and beans. All I could eat! Delicious! We all made plans to come back next year. Wonderful ride, kick-ass support, and great food along with the friendliest people ever made this a memorable ride. I don't think I would have done this ride again if not for the fact that the three ladies with me had all signed up and were going. SO glad I did! We came, we saw, we rode, we conquered!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment