Sunday, April 24, 2016

Prairie Spirit Trail 2016


Prairie Spirit Trail;  2016:

I try to get up to ride the Prairie Spirit Trail at least once a year. This year I seem to have a lot of stuff going on later in the year,  so I chose to go up earlier. I asked several people to join, but only Becky was able to go on a moments notice. Even then, we had to keep moving the date up a notch at a time because of the weather. Finally, though, the big day was here, and while Becky had some other obligations that would limit her riding to only one day, we decided it would be the best chance we had, so we decided to go for it. As I have done the Prairie Spirit several times in the past, I didn't take a huge amount of pictures ..... the next blog, however, is a very special one ...... be sure not to miss out on that one as there are a lot of pictures, and a first time ride. 

Because our first day ride started a bit later than I normally would, mostly due to a 5 hour drive getting there, we decided that a loop from Ottawa to Garnett would be just the ticket, plus, we could eat at the Prairie Belle cafe in Garnett. Jim Bangs and I had eaten there before, and it was superb. We started from the Ottawa Trailhead, and as we were getting ready, we noticed a group of riders heading south. When we reached Princeton, we caught up with them ..... wearing Texas and Katy Trail jerseys. After talking, we found out that we knew many of them from the Katy. Such a fun reunion time. I think we spent a half hour there. Lots of questions and attention paid to the Fatbike ...... and even as we were riding later, Becky kept asking about it. Finally, I stopped, adjusted the saddle height, and swapped bikes with her for a while. She not only did well ..... I had a hard time keeping up with her. She had my camera with her on my bike ....... I would have loved to get a picture of the big grin on her face, little tiny girl riding a great big Fatbike ..... and enjoying the heck out of it! 

Some of the Texas group at the Princeton Trailhead. 


 Becky and I at the Garnett Depot. Love their Sunflower bike racks.





 After we ate in town ...... and once again, it seemed that no one could walk by the bikes parked out front without stopping and looking the Fattie over, we rode on south a ways and came back to the south lake, checked out the new tent sites for trail users. It looks like many could camp in that area, and while you do have to pay a fee ...... I didn't look to see what it was. After looking it up, it seems that those sites will go for $9 a night per unit, primitive camping. Like the fee for the trail, there are self serve envelopes and a deposit "box" for the fees. We circled the lake so Becky could get a first ride ever over a pontoon bridge, following a big guy on a fat bike bouncing the bridge pretty good gave her a fun ride ..... and she enjoyed it as you can see by the smile on her face.





 An old barn hidden away in the woods.





 The Spring green was so bright, and so beautiful. This seemed to be a good choice for time of year to ride. They had just finished opening all the trailside facilities a week or so earlier, so everything was in good working order for us.




 After this, we ambled on back into the wind for the return to Ottawa. We ate dinner at the Smoked Creations, a Bar-B-Que place recommended to me by a friend who lives in Ottawa. I was glad I listened to him as it was a great place to eat. Good food and plenty of it, a lovely dinner companion,  and cold beer .... with Miller light draft on special for $2 a glass, can life get much better? Unfortunately, Becky had to return early and would miss out on the next day's ride, so I went south early the next morning in order to ride north from Iola to Garnett. After I got a ways north of Colony however, I turned around and headed back south and breakfasted in Colony. The food was still good. I did, run into some of the Texas group again, so more talking and fun. 

As I was leaving Iola, these colorful grain augers caught my eye ... all neatly arranged in a row. 



 Early morning, the trail was beautiful.


 The abandoned telegraph poles and insulators are a memory of times gone by.



 The wildlife was a bit "squirrelly" in the morning.


 Yours Truly, with "Fats" on one of the many bridges. 



 Being an old farm boy, I "love" old barns ..... of course, those of you who follow my blog know this already.


 "Hey ...... A girl would like a little privacy while she's taking her bath ..... do you mind!!"


 Serenity



 The geese were not camera shy like the cow....


 And so ..... with my return to Iola, this ride comes to a close. I did not, however, stop at Iola ..... but that is for another blog, one I think you will really enjoy as much as I did. Keep your eyes open for the new blog to follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment