Monday, April 30, 2012

A Wildflower Ride

4/30/12

Today was a wonderful ride...... made five old new friends today, stopped and talked to people along the way. For some reason, people are more eager to talk when I'm on the touring bike.  I also took over 60 pictures of wildflowers on a 38 mile bike ride today. Some of them were past their prime, but most were just simply beautiful. Isn't this what riding bikes is all about anyway? I took the touring bike for a couple of reasons..... it had a trunk bag with a rain cover (yes it looked like rain, never did), and it has a kickstand, so I can park it anywhere I please. The touring bike also makes friends much, much easier than the racing bike. I'm not going to begin to fool anyone into thinking I know names of all these flowers, they're just pretty flowers. I'll identify the ones I do know, which aren't many.

Wild roses in the ditch.....








Magnolia Tree.... they usually don't do well this far north, but no one ever told this tree that....and so it blooms all summer, every summer. You see a lot of these down south along the Red River, Durant has a Magnolia Festival every year, Sulphur has a lot of them, but we have this one up here.


Magnolia blossoms....













Peek-a-boo...... Tortoises cross the roads all over during this season of the year...migration time....This one was bashful......I helped him across the road afterwards.



Hello there.....



Feathery plant of some kind..........


Honeysuckle .... the stuff is all over this year


More Honeysuckle.......it'll grow anywhere.....




Entire fields of color




And, turning around..... color across the road too.....  A beginning and ending with a bike.... it's supposed to be a bike blog after all......

2 comments:

  1. Very, very nice!
    You stopped to smell the roses!

    I sure like the looks of your Cannondale tourer! I can understand the people that want to talk when on that bike instead of your racer. The same thing happens to me. Maybe it is the relaxed, upright ride that attracts people.
    On my ride yesterday I stopped to talk to a fellow who was on a LHT. He had just gotten it and was out on his 3rd ride on it. It was the black color and I told him how great he looked on it going down the road. He was very happy with his purchase. We compared notes but I was on my schwinn so could not compare bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A am so glad I got that tourer, if for no other reason than just a slower paced ride like this one. I stopped to smell the roses, honeysuckle, and others.... took over 60 pictures and stopped lots. It keeps the miles off my expensive bike with all those high dollar components, and gives me a great workout too, all at an enjoyable pace.

    ReplyDelete